Monday, January 5, 2009

Life on the Cold Prairie!

So I grew up in the country, I know what it is like to live in the sticks, in North Dakota, in the winter. I lived through the winter of 97 when the snow banks were higher than the bus on my bus route to school.
I have never, however, lived through a North Dakota winter with a one year old while my husband is off on a week long ice fishing/bachealor party trip with his buddies! And that ladies and gentleman is what has brought me to my in-laws for the week. No this is not an "oh my goodness I have to put up with my in-laws" post. This is a "thank our Father in heaven for my in-laws" post. You see, of the 31 days in December, we got snow 25 of those days. This snow has left the 2 mile gravel road to my house looking more like a snow tunnel that one of my students built than an actual road. I wish that I had pictures of my neighbor coming down the road with his snow blower (and by snowblower I mean large tractor blower blowing the snow 50 yards away) to open our road after being blocked in for almost three days. It was like the calvary coming! (We love you, Steve!)
So here I am, at my inlaws - I am sure I will have another good story for you before the week is through!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You sound like such a pioneer woman. Darn those hubbies when they leave in the middle of a weather crisis! I remember once...ok not nearly as drastic as your tunnel. but we had a lot of snow about 3 feet in our driveway (when we rented in town) and I had to shovel it when brian was gone...with a kiddie snow shovel. This is no lie! And then my kind neighbor came over with a big shovel and gave me crap about using the tiny shovel! Of course I went out and bought new shovels after that experience. So yeah, men need to stay home to protect and dig out the womenfolk in the winter. Especially in NoDak!!